Join our membership
If you want to apply for membership Download the form here.
Threws - The Research World
THREWS membership offers access to technical innovation, cutting-edge information, networking opportunities, and exclusive member benefits. Members support THREWS mission to advance technology for humanity and the profession, while memberships build a platform to introduce careers in technology to students around the world.
International Society of researchers and scientists
Through memberships you can keep current in your chosen technology profession, connect with peers, and invest in your career advancement.
benefits Of Membership
THREWS delivers access to the industry’s most essential technical information, networking opportunities, career development tools, and many other exclusive benefits to its members.
THREWS members can access information on local events and activities by signing in to THREWS, an integrated multi-functional platform and global network of technology-focused professionals, leveraging THREWS’s extensive knowledge base and community of thought-leaders. Once signed in, users can:
- Network with other technology professionals
- Establish a professional profile highlighting your accomplishments
- Join and participate in discussions on various technical interests
- Create a group to share and collaborate on projects
- Discover THREWS events and activities throughout the world.
Membership in THREWS is open to individuals who by education or experience give evidence of competence in an THREWS designated field. The designated fields are: Engineering, Computer Sciences and Information Technology, Physical Sciences, Biological and Medical Sciences, Mathematics, Technical Communications, Education, Management, and Law and Policy.
THREWS offers the following grades of membership: Student, Graduate Student, Associate, member, Senior member, and Professional Member. The special categories of Life member, Young Professional, and Society Affiliate are also offered.
Student member grade
To create a future where knowledge is valued a
A Student member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in THREWS-designated fields. The total cumulative period for a member to hold the Student member grade and/or the Graduate Student member grade is limited to eight years.
Student members, upon graduation or upon reaching the eight-year limit (whichever occurs first), with a baccalaureate or higher degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution in an THREWS-designated field will be transferred automatically to member grade.
Student members outside of the THREWS-designated fields, upon graduation or upon reaching the eight-year limit (whichever occurs first), will be transferred to Associate member grade.
Graduate Student member grade
A Graduate Student member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered graduate student in a regular course of study in THREWS- designated fields. The total cumulative period for a member to hold the Student member grade and/or the Graduate Student member grade is limited to eight years.
Graduate Student members, upon graduation or upon reaching the total cumulative eight-year limit as a Graduate Student member (whichever occurs first), will be transferred automatically to member grade.
Member grade is limited to those who have satisfied THREWS-specified educational requirements and/or who have demonstrated professional competence in THREWS-designated fields of interest. For admission or transfer to the grade of member, a candidate may be either:
- An individual who has received a three- to five-year university-level or higher degree from an accredited institution or program and in an THREWS-designated field
- An individual who has received a three- to five-year university-level or higher degree from an accredited institution or program and who has at least three years of professional work experience engaged in teaching, creating, developing, practicing, or managing in THREWS-designated field
An individual who, through at least six years of professional work experience, has demonstrated competence in teaching, creating, developing, practicing, or managing within THREWS-designated fields
The highest grade of Threws membership you can apply for, we award Fellowship to the high achievers – those respected professionals at the forefront of engineering, technology or cognate disciplines for at least five years or more.
How can fellowship help you?
Our Fellows come from a wide range of backgrounds and roles with a common aspiration of promoting themselves and our industry to the wider world. As a Fellow you’ll benefit from:
- being able to use the FTHREWS post-nominal letters after your name, as a clear statement of THREWS and peer recognition
- having an internationally recognised accreditation (and a certificate)
- increased recognition with employers
- opportunities to shape the future of engineering by joining panels, events and discussions
- being able to give back as a mentor or ambassador to young people
- our exclusive Fellows LinkedIn group for global networking
- invites to our Fellows only events, like our Fellow Networking Events.
The grade of Senior member is the highest for which application may be made and requires experience reflecting professional maturity. For admission or transfer to the grade of Senior member, a candidate shall be an engineer, scientist, educator, technical executive, or originator in THREWS-designated fields.
The candidate shall have been in professional practice for at least ten years and shall have shown significant performance over a period of at least five of those years, such performance including one or more of the following:
- Substantial responsibility or achievement in one or more THREWS-designated fields
- Publication of papers, books, or inventions in one or more THREWS-designated fields
- Technical direction or management of important work with evidence of accomplishment in one or more THREWS-designated fields
- Recognized contributions to the welfare of the professions encompassed by one or more of the THREWS-designated fields
- Development or furtherance of important courses in one or more of the THREWS-designated fields at an institution in the REP list
Contributions equivalent to those of the above areas related to THREWS-designated fields, provided these contributions serve to advance progress substantially in THREWS-designated fields
The grade of Professional Member recognizes unusual distinction in the profession and is conferred only by invitation of the Board of Directors upon a person with an extraordinary record of accomplishments in any of THREWS’s designated fields of interest.
The year of election to the grade of Professional Member is the year following affirmative action by the Board of Directors in conferring the grade of Professional Member. The candidate shall hold Senior Membership at the time the nomination is submitted. Normally, the candidate shall have been a member in any grade for a period of five years or more preceding 1 January of the year of election; however, the five-year membership requirement may be waived for a Professional Member candidate who has been engaged in professional practice (as needed to qualify for Senior Membership) in a geographical area where, in the judgment of the Board of Directors, it was difficult to become a member previously, as evidenced by the absence of a Section previously and the recent formation of a new Section to cover that geographical area. In such case, membership of five years or more in a recognized local electrical, electronics, or computer-engineering society may substitute for the five-year THREWS membership requirement, when the nomination is submitted within four years after the formation of the new Section.